Friday, April 18, 2008

Why E-Postcards Don't Work When Marketing Massage Therapy That Practitioners Aren’t Aware Of (This will surprise you!)

I want to point out the problems with promoting your massage therapy business using email and massage therapy postcards. Now, I’m not suggesting that you shouldn’t use email or e-postcards. As you know, I use email to help keep in touch with my database. There are many massage therapists who signed up for my email broadcasts (thank you!).

Then, what’s the most overlooked problem of using email or e-postcards to send offers to your database? Here is the trend that I’m noticing that almost all therapists aren’t aware of:

You see, the biggest complaint that I hear over and over is, “Well, Jeff, sales letters and postcards aren’t working for me, so I’m just going to send everyone an e-postcard instead. It’s more cost efficient.”

Oh, Lordy! Where do I begin?

First of all, if direct mail doesn’t work, then why do I get such strong response rates every single time that I use it? If the problem was that people don’t pay attention to direct mail, it would fail for me, too, wouldn’t it?

So there goes that theory.

The most overlooked problem is this:

If People Aren’t Responding To Your Direct Mail, It’s Because Of Your MESSAGE – Not Direct Mail Itself!!!

I’d go so far as to say that 99.9% of the time when I receive a marketing piece from one of my members to evaluate, their message is very, very weak.

It’s understandable. There’s a learning curve for everyone. It takes a little bit of time to really ‘get it’. The greatest writers of body copy on the planet say that even their marketing pieces can be improved (including mine).

So I don’t expect you to become Gary Halbert, Ted Nicholas, Dan Kennedy or Bill Glazer overnight. I still carefully examine great works by folks like these. I’m continually improving my stuff.

Anyway, if your message is poor, then why in the world are people going to automatically respond to an e-postcard as opposed to a direct mail piece if the message is the same?

It doesn’t make any sense. In fact, there’s a greater chance that it will be ignored. With direct mail, it has to be handled either to be read or thrown it out, but it can’t be ignored. Emails and e-postcards can get lost in the shuffle within the barrage of emails that everyone gets (among other problems mentioned last month's hard copy newsletter).

I’m not saying that you shouldn’t incorporate them into your marketing, just don’t rely on them 100% . Also…

Don’t assume that everyone reads and responds to email. You’d be shocked at the amount of people who don’t check their email regularly, or only respond to messages from friends and family, aren’t able to open an e-postcard for technical reasons – this list can go on and on.

So, to assume that people are going to somehow respond to an e-postcard because it didn’t work in a mailing piece is a backwards way of thinking.

Combine that with the many reasons why people don’t respond to offers sent electronically is going to make you want to completely give up!

DON’T FALL INTO THIS TRAP!!!

Before you get completely frustrated, I’ve got some good news! Finally…

A Fool-Proof Way To Know With 100% Certainty If Your Clients Would Rather Receive Direct Mail Or E-Postcards

Ready for this? Drum roll please…

If you want to know how to start a massage business and aren't sure how to approach clients or prospects - ask them! Simply ask them. You can include it in a survey. You can ask them directly. However you do it – ask them!

If 60% would rather something physical sent in the mail, then you know that you only send snail mail to that group.

If 40% would rather something be sent to them electronically, then send them an email, e-postcard, refer them to your web site – which will save you money on stamps, paper, ink, and envelopes.

Am I a genius or what? There! I just settled all arguments. It’s amazing how many people don’t think of doing that. Ask them and then have a column in your database that determines who likes to get regular mail and who prefers email.

But remember – even if you find out that the majority of your clients and prospects would rather get something electronically – if your message is boring, weak, or too general – they’re still not going to respond!
If you'd like to receive a FREE 6-lesson course on how to start a massage business plus receive a free ebook - "9 Most Damaging Maketing Mistakes - Why Everything You've Been Taught About How To Start A Massage Therapy Practice Is Wrong!", please visit my web site at http://www.ultimatemassagesuccess.com.
See you next time!

No comments: